Sunday, February 7, 2010

What I'm excited about this month

Take a look at the photo below. Housewives (and other food shoppers), how much do you think that produce would cost? Grapefruits, bananas, apples, asparagus, zuchini, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, bell peppers, pears, carrots, tangerines... How much? $25? $20? Wrong -- Thanks to my sister Karen, I have joined a local food co-op and I got that food for $15.  Basically right off the truck--without the middle men--no food wholesaler (bye, A to Z produce!), no friendly produce guy at Dick's.
The co-op was organized in Arizona, and they send trucks up this way every week, overnight Friday, for pick up on Saturday. You never know what you'll get for sure. My first week I signed up for the pick up in Layton. This past Saturday, I picked up at the West Bountiful City Hall. Here's what I got...

Again, $15.
Below is the Mexican pack I got the first week for $7.50 and the next one is the Italian pack (also $7.50) from this week. By the way, those tortillas in the Mexican pack were unbelievably wonderful.



So... it's fritattas for breakfast, fajitas for lunch, big pans of sauteed veggies for dinner--nightly, 2 bananas a day and an apple and a mandarin orange or tangerine. It takes a concerted effort to eat this stuff, but it's what we love (Tyler and Daniel would roll their eyes at this comment) and what we should be eating. Today (Sunday) I made roasted cauliflower and garlic in pasta, marinara with fresh basil, and asparagus.

It's so delicious and wonderful. If you're interested, the website is bountifulbaskets.org

Final photo - the cutest baby I know. My new grand-niece Jenna Christine Levie. So cute (and I love her name, which is my name, except mine is little Jenna. I kept the whole "we share the same name" thing to myself until after the official naming because I didn't want all of the other aunts, cousins, etc. to feel bad--until now.)

P.S.  Send zuchini recipes.

4 comments:

  1. It was so fun to get all this produce. Now just add some saturated fat, ie Coconut oil and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that produce also excites me . . . what does this mean? Either we're just a couple of old fogies or we're enlightened "earth women". I think I'll go with option number 2. Thanks for sharing the info about the co-op. I'm thinking about it. Your grand niece is, of course, adorable. Karen must be over the moon. Love ya, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome. I just heard about that farm thing when we were in Washington. I so want to try it. You will have to give me details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the produce is so delicious! I'm making banana bread tomorrow!
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete